Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Death of American Citizens Abroad

The death of an American citizen should be reported immediately to the consular office having jurisdiction over the place where the death occurred. (The death of an American citizen in the St. Petersburg consular district should be reported to the consular section of the U.S. Consulate General in St. Petersburg, at +7 (812) 331-2600.)

Upon notification of the death, consular officers' subsequent actions will depend on the circumstances of the death and on decisions made by the deceased's next-of-kin. The consular section's goal is to help the next-of-kin with the many difficulties posed by a family loss overseas. A consular officer will notify the deceased's next-of-kin and inform him or her about options and costs for disposition of remains. The wishes of the family will determine arrangements for the burial, cremation, or shipment of the remains as well as the return or disposal of any personal effects. If the next-of-kin wishes, the consular officer can act as his or her representative with local authorities. The Consular Section will prepare the necessary documents should the family choose to have the body returned to the U.S. (Costs of preparing and returning a body to the U.S. are high and must be paid by the family.) The Consular Section also issues a Consular Report of Death; this document, which is based on the Russian death certificate, can be used in the U.S. to settle estate and other matters.